The beautiful village of Greyton nestles between the majestic Riviersonderend mountain range and gently curving hills. This tranquil oasis of green lies between two rivers, with lush colourful country gardens that complement the thatched cottages and oak tree lined lanes. The villagers are friendly and the ambiance is uniquely “Greyton”.
In 1846 a wealthy Englishman, Herbert Vigne, bought Weltevreden farm. He established a freehold agricultural village on Weltevreden in 1854, keeping two small portions for himself and bequeathing the remainder of the farm as commonage. He named the village “Greyton”, after Sir George Grey, the then Governor of the Cape.
Greyton was the only town in the Cape in which land with full title deeds, water rights, and grazing rights was for sale to anyone. The various sized properties were made available to buyers of any race, nationality or religion at affordable prices.
Many of the town’s original buildings and features have survived, including the original irrigation system of street furrows, the town kraal and dipping tank, a blacksmith’s house and forge, the school’s boarding house and the extensive public commonage crisscrossed by walking, hiking and cycling paths that surround the town.
Greyton owes much of its charm to the fact that its Cape Vernacular architectural heritage has remained largely intact. It is an extremely popular weekend and holiday destination for visitors who enjoy its combination of old-world charm and modern conveniences.