Prieska developed from a place to which farmers migrated when the pans were full, after rains. It was administered by a village management board from 1882 and attained municipal status in 1892. The town was originally named Prieschap, a Khoisan word meaning ‘place of the lost she-goat’.
Prieska is a rich source of precious stones.
Prieska is literally in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by many small settlements with names such as Niekerkshoop, Marydale, Copperton, Omdraaisvlei, Putsonderwater.
Attractions in Prieska include:
– The Schumann Rock Collection, including semiprecious stones and Khoisan stone implements, can be viewed at the municipal offices.
– The area between Prieska and Vioolsdrif is often called the “Rock Garden Route” – where the rare halfmens and succulents of the Lithops family can be found.
– The Ria Huysamen Aloe Garden outside town contains a large array of succulents.
– Die Bos Nature Reserve with indigenous trees, shrubs and abundant birdlife, picnic spots, angling and suspended bridges across the Prieska River.
– The British Stone Fort on the top of Prieska Koppie overlooking the town is made entirely of tiger’s eye. The fort was built during the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902. The graves of British soldiers who died in the war can be seen in the Memorial Garden in town.
– The Prieska Museum
– Wonderdraai where a horseshoe-shaped island is formed by the flow of the Orange River and makes it seem as if the river turns to flow uphill.
|Country name||South Africa|