Postmasburg is located approximately 170 km east of Upington. Originally a station of the London Missionary Society called Sibiling, it became a Griqua village with the name Blinkklip. It was proclaimed a town on 6 June 1892 and named after the Reverend Dirk Postma (1818-1890), founder of the Reformed Church. The town achieved municipal status in 1936.
The town is complemented by a dam surrounded by lush, green vegetation and sparkling fountains.
Attractions in Postmasburg include:
– Archaeological findings indicate that Khoisan mined specularite at Blinkklipkop from at least AD 700. This mineral, a soft glittering form of haematite, was a highly valued commodity in precolonial times, used as a cosmetic and in ritual. Braai facilities.
– The Howitzer Gun Civic Centre honors those who lost their lives in WWII.
– The old Postmas Diamond Mine is 45m deep, filled with clear water and well-stocked with fish.
– The Reformed Church & Rev Dirk Postma Statue. The church is a blue dolomite stone building, erected in 1908.
-For the adventure seekers, there are plenty of thrilling 4×4 , hiking and biking trails in the area.
|Country name||South Africa|