Keimoes lies on the Orange River and is about halfway between Upington and Kakamas. The town is said to have gotten the name in the 1860s from Klaas Lukas, a Khoemana leader. He called it Keimoes (‘mouse nest’) after the colonies of mice living there.
But others say it is a combination of the Nama words “gei” (great) and “mus” (fountain).
The discovery of Middle Stone Age stone tools such as, blades, points, scrapers and one adze found in Keimoes confirms the prehistoric activity in the town. It attained municipal status in 1949.
Keimoes is situated on the biggest island in the lower Orange River region. Virtually every inch of soil is under irrigation. Enjoy driving between the many vineyards, a spit-roast, home-baked bread, several traditional desserts, and locally produced wines.
Keimoes is famous for producing sultanas which are exported around the world. Wine is also a sources of income to the town with one of the largest wine co-operatives, Orange River Wine Cellars, situated in Keimoes.
Attractions in Keimoes include:
– The Dutch Reformed Church was built in 1889 by Revered Schroeder. Due to its historical significance, the church has been declared a national monument in 1978 and is now a Provincial Heritage Site.
– The Tierberg ‘Tiger Mountain’ Nature Reserve lies 4 km outside Keimoes. The reserve covers an area of 160 hectares. It is significant because it is home to large Aloes, numerous species of succulents, springbok, and views of the Orange River Valley.
– There are a number of irrigation canals which run through Keimoes. The canal which runs along Main Road was completed in 1883 and still supplies water to the area.
– In 1978, the Persian water wheel was declared a national monument. It is now a Provincial Heritage Site. It has been restored and it is still in use on an irrigation canal along the main road of Keimoes.
– On the slopes of the Tier Mountain, you will enjoy wonderful views of the river’s islands and irrigation scheme.
|Country name||South Africa|