Jan Kempdorp was laid out on the farm Andalusia and at first bore that name. During the Second World War it was the site of a concentration camp housing German men regarded as potentially dangerous by the authorities.
The first settlers bought plots in 1938, and the town was proclaimed in 1953. It was named after General Jan Kemp, a former Minister of Lands. Municipal status was attained in 1967.
Originally, the border between the Cape and Transvaal provinces ran through the town, making it the only town in South Africa that was in two provinces. This also led to confusion about the administration until in 1964 it was decided by Parliament that the town would be deemed to fall in the Cape for legal purposes.
Attractions in Jan Kempdorp include:
– The grave sites of German and other soldiers from the Second World War can be found at Jan Kempdorp.
– The 38 kilometer Poplar Lane along the road to Hartswater was planted in 1937 and has often been considered the longest lane of its kind in the world.
|Country name||South Africa|