Hartswater is a small agricultural town which is blessed with fertile land and functions as the main water supplier to the northern section of the Vaalharts Irrigation Scheme.
The town’s growth has been nurtured by its irrigation canals and is surrounded by trees and tracts of fertile ground.
Hartswater is on the Phokwane River, a small tributary of the Harts River, some 23 km south of Taung and 36 km north of Warrenton. It became a municipality in April 1960. It takes its name from the Harts River.
The town was laid out in 1948. There is a monument built in the shape of a miniature church dedicated to the women of Vaalharts for their contribution towards building and developing the Vaalharts irrigation scheme. The town has its own wine cellar and also a newly built olive processing business.
Hartswater is a peaceful, old fashioned town that is an ideal stopover for those wanting to enjoy the countryside.
Attractions in Hartswater include:
– The burial site of Tswana Chief Galeshewe is near Hartswater.
– Hartswater Wine Cellar. Enjoy wine tasting and buy local wines, bottled under the Overvaal and Elements labels.
– The Buxton quarry on the border of the Northern Cape and the North West Province. Here Raymond Dart discovered the million-year-old skull of the Taung child. It was declared a heritage site in 1924.
– Covering 36 950ha, the Vaalharts Irrigation Scheme, which is one of the largest irrigation schemes in the world, is managed by Vaalharts Water, watering 1 250 farms of some 25ha each in the lush Valley.
|Country name||South Africa|