Delareyville is a maize and peanut farming town. The town is 96 km south-west of Lichtenburg.
The farm “Zoutpan or Bospan”, upon which Delareyville was established, was the property of the State until 1913. Negotiations with the then Department of Land took place during 1912 to establish a government town on this ground.
It was declared a border industry area in 1968. It was named after Jacobus Herculaas (Koos) de la Rey (1847-1914), General of the Boer forces in the Anglo-Boer War.
The area is known for the cultivation of maize, groundnuts, sorghum and sheep and cattle farming.
Salt is mined from the many pans in the area.
Attractions in and around Delareyville include:
– The Dutch Reformed Church in Main Street is a national monument and was designed by Gerhard Moerdyk.
– The Earth Satellite Station was erected in 1998 to improve telecommunications in southern Africa.
– The Barberspan Nature Reserve is approximately 15 km from town. The dam is the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere and covers an area of approximately 2,000 ha. It is considered a fishing, boating and birding paradise.
– About 30 kilometres out of town on the Ottosdal road, there is a monument erected to commemorate the Battle of Boschbult.
– Battle Of Roodewal cemetary. This is a community grave for Boer soldiers and also holds the grave of Commander FJ Potgieter. Roodewal is about 10km out of Delareyville.
– Gestoptefontein is the house where Cieneral Methuen was nursed after the battle of “De Klipdrift”. The famous big game hunter van Zyl also used to live here.
– Strydom Square is adjacent to the municipal offices and comprises an effigy of General De la Rey and a Heroes’ Acre where a number of persons involved in the battles from the surrounding areas were rebuked.
– The Henk Joubert Game Reserve houses several game species such as blesbok, springbok, impala, zebra, ostrich and kudu. It is situated just outside town on the Ottosdal road.
– In summer, the salt pans attract thousands of flamingoes – surely one of the most awe-inspiring attractions in the province.
|Country name||South Africa|