Kosmos is a small village situated on the banks of the Hartbeespoort Dam. The first homes were built in the 1920s shortly after the Dam was constructed.
It is thought that the name derives from the Kosmos which grows wild in great drifts in many parts of the Highveld, and in particular on the roads from the nearby major cities.
Attractions in and around Kosmos include:
– The Hartbeespoort Dam, surrounded by the majesty of the Magaliesberg mountain range, is a popular destination for weekend getaways or day trips. All water sports may be enjoyed including para-sailing, windsurfing, water and jet skiing.
– For the more adventurous paragliding, hang-gliding or hot air ballooning.
– The Heritage Route starts at the dam, going north to the Pilanesberg National Park and on to the Madikwe Game Reserve in the north.
– Also of interest is the Crocodile Ramble, an arts and crafts route with day visitor facilities.
– Harties horse trail safaris
– The Hartbeespoort Aerial Cableway (the longest mono cableway in Africa)
– The Hartbeespoort Dam Snake Park
– The Hartbeespoort Dam wall and tunnel
– The Hartbeespoort Dam Aquarium
– The Welwitchia Country Market
– The Elephant Sanctuary Hartbeespoort Dam
– Bush Babies Monkey Sanctuary
– Chameleon Village
|Country name||South Africa|