KwaDukuza / Stanger
The town was founded about 1820 by King Shaka and was named KwaDukuza because of the capital’s labyrinth of huts. After Shaka was assassinated on 22 September 1828 during a coup the town was burnt to the ground.
In 1873, European settlers built a town on the site, naming it Stanger after William Stanger, the surveyor-general of Natal. In 2006, its official name was changed from Stanger to KwaDukuza again.
The town is surrounded by sugar cane fields and bush. KwaDukuza is situated 20 minutes from Ballito with all it’s amenities.
The mahogany tree where Shaka held meetings still stands in front of the municipal offices.
The Shaka Day festival, a colorful ceremony of 10,000 or more Zulu, is held at the KwaDukuza Recreation Grounds on 24 September every year. The festival is usually attended by dignitaries to mark the significance of the Zulu nation.
The Stanger North Coast Museum houses historical items and information on Shaka, the sugar industry and local history. The town has an eastern flavour because of the influx of labourers from India in the late 19th and the early 20th centuries.
|Country name||South Africa|