Senekal is situated in the Thabo Mofutsanyana region of the Free State. It was named after Commandant-General FP Senekal and established on the banks of the Klipspruit, a Vaal tributary. Senekal lies on the N5 national road between Winburg and Bethlehem.
This town is an important producer of maize, sunflower, wheat, milk and meat livestock. The majority of its inhabitants speak Afrikaans and Sotho and its current population is around 4 000 residents.
Senekal is not only a town full of rich history, but also offers nature-inspired activities and attractions. The Bible Garden is a tranquil garden situated on the grounds of the town’s church. Tourists are encouraged to visit this garden and have lunch in this collection of olive, herbal and palm flora.
Other things to do in Senekal include:
– Arcadia Vacation Farm: Tennis, swimming and horse-riding are some of the activities offered on this farm.
– Biddulphsberg Resort: The resort has a thatch roofed “lapa” and a dam suitable for swimming. Game drives can be arranged and walking and hiking trails are laid out on the farm.
– Biddulphsberg Battle Site (Anglo-Boer War), the site of this battle between Boer and British forces in 1900 is situated on the farm Biddulphsberg. Two monuments now mark the place where 400 Boers overcame a superior force of 4 000 British soldiers. This location is also famous for its historical ties with the renowned anti-British Ossewabrandwag organisation that was founded in 1938 to further Afrikaner Nationalism.
– Biking is popular in the area and there are numerous biking routes in the surrounding area and on Biddulphsberg, a farm that belonged to Voortrekker leader, Sarel Cilliers.
– Senekal has an 18-hole golf course and annually stages several tournaments and golf-days.
– The Fern Route Hiking Trail is established on a game farm in the vicinity. The trail is suitable for young and old. Many species of game, birds and trees can be viewed. The routes followed by the hiking trails on the farm Biddulphsberg are very scenic.
– There are a number of game ranches and game lodges located on private farms, such as Arizona and Biddulphsbergoord Hunting Safaris, that provide hunting facilities and hunting packages.
– The Senekal Country Club has squash, badminton, tennis, netball, rugby and bowls facilities. The town also has a Motorbike Club.
|Country name||South Africa|